about the area
Concession #1 land area fronts on the Bay of Quinte and is served by Highway #33. Conway District being the area to the west, Sandhurst in the centre and Elm Beach to the east. The Town Site of Fredericksburgh was laid-out by the early surveyors in the Sandhurst District but was never developed. In 1963 a sub-division called Sandhurst Shores next to the original town site was established.
Concession #2 has country road #8 as their highway. Parma is the most westerly district and Sillsville the centre. Sillsville's northern border is Hay Bay.
The Western section of Concession #3 and the area along the Hay Bay South Shore Road is known as Hayburn.
Hawley (sometimes referred to as Hamburg-Hawley) makes up a large area of Concession #2 & #3 in the north-east portion of South Fredericksburgh and is also served by County Road #8.
Please refer to the maps on this site for further information.
The Township of Fredericksburgh was named after Prince Augustus Frederick, Duke of Sussex, the ninth child of King George III. Fredericksburgh, like the other communities west of Kingston, Ontario was settled by the United Empire Loyalists in 1784.
When Municipal Governments were formed, many townships had no halls or places of their own in which to hold council or public meetings and taverns were used for this purpose. Meetings alternated between the North and South part of Fredericksburgh Township.
In the northern part of the township meetings were held at the Lucas Tavern, known as the Dew Drop Inn north of Big Creek Bridge on Country Road #8. In the southern part of the Township, meetings were held at Charters' Tavern in the community of Sillsville. Both buildings still stand as residential homes.
Most people in the southern part of the Township traveled east to Bath for their supplies whereas those living north of Big Creek shopped in Napanee. As a result there was no great urgency by either the south or the north to properly maintain a connecting road. This condition remained until the time of the county road system.
There was an on-going dispute as to where to hold council meetings and the tension increased when a site for a permanent township building was discussed. Thus it seemed reasonable at the time to solve the problem by separating into a North and South Township. This occurred in 1857.
The districts of South Fredericksburgh were for the most part, named after the local hamlet or school district. In the early days most of the districts had their own stores and some had blacksmith shops and cheese factories.
Fredericksburgh, originally known as the Third Township of Cataraquie was settled in 1784 by discharged veterans led by Major James Rogers. The boundaries were surveyed by November 1783 but the lot lines were not run until the following year.
In order that all the veterans from The Rogers Corps. were accommodated in a single township, land was taken from Adolphustown and added to Fredericksburgh. Fredericksburgh township road No. 1 was the dividing line. This road extends from Conway at the south and bordering the Bay of Quinte, northward to Hayburn on Hay Bay.
The numbering of the original Fredericksburgh lots started at Township Road No. 1 and continued eastward for 26 lots. The numbering of the Township of Adolphustown lots also started at Township Road No. 1 and extended westward for 33 lots. When land was taken from Adolphustown and lot numbering remained, but lots 1 to 12 were assigned to Fredericksburgh. This portion of the former Adolphustown Township was later called 'Fredericksburgh Additional'.
To allow as many settlers as possible access to waterfronts the lots were narrow but deep and were divided by concessions with Concession No. 1 fronting on the Bay of Quinte and Concessions No. 2 and 3 to the north.