MR WILLIAM DAVISON
(Journal of Education for Ontario 1874)
The deceased, one of the oldest settlers in the township of Ernestown, was a native of Carrickfergus, County Antrim, Ireland, and came to Canada in 1819, bringing with him a wife and two children. After working a short time in Quebec and Montreal, he moved to Kingston. In the year 1821 he settled on lot 41, in the 5th concession of Ernestown, then a wilderness, where he resided till he died, respected by all with whom he came in contact. We understand that Mr. Davison was one of the oldest Free Masons in the county.
MARSHALL C. DAVY
(Daily British Whig July 28 1900)
Spent His Life in Bath - Sketch of the Late Marshall C. Davy
He was of Genuine U.E.L. Stock - The Family Was Actively Connected With
St. John's Church for a Century
The late Marshall Davy was a life long resident of the village of Bath, where he was born seventy-six years ago. He was of genuine U.E. Loyalist stock. His grandfather, John Davy, was one of the first of the U.E.L. pioneers of that locality and the family have always been represented among the active business men and leading citizens ever since. His marriage to Sophey Hoffnel, on the 22nd day of November, 1787, was the first marriage recorded by Rev. John Langhorn in his historic old church register, and it was probably the first christian marriage ever legally performed in the midland district, west of Kingston. The old register, now in the archbishop's office in Kingston, thus describes the parties: "John Davy, widower, of the Second township of Catarakwee, called Ernesttown, and Sophy Hoffnell, spinster, of the fourth township of Catarakwee, were married in this church (St. John's) by banns; the witnesses being John Caldwell, Hannah Davy and Henry Hoover." It is said that John Langhorn made his home at John Davy's, when in Bath, for years. Peter Davy, a son of John, and the father of the deceased, was for many years a leading citizen of Bath. He built the large brick hotel there, then the finest of its class in these entire counties, and continued to be so for years. He afterwards retired to his farm, adjoining the village, where he lived and died. He was long considered one of the foremost farmers of the county, and, indeed, among the foremost of the province. He was for years a prominent member of the old provincial agricultural association and a member of the first township council of Ernesttown.
The deceased was the last survivor of the four sons of the late Peter Davy, and an elder brother of the late Benjamin C. Davy, at one time a prominent resident of Napanee, and the first mayor of this town. He married Miss Nugent, a daughter of the late John Nugent, Esq., of Ernesttown, who survives him with their two sons and five daughters. The sons, Charles and Albert, reside on farms near the homestead. Four of the daughters are at home; one, Miss Minnie, is a professional nurse in Boston.
He was a life-long adherent and active supporter of St. John's church in Bath, with which the family, in continuous succession, have been actively connected since its first formation over a hundred years ago. It is stated that the church warden's register of St. John's does not record a single vestry meeting of St. John's from the year 1800 to the year 1900 in which the name of one or more members of the Davy family do not appear, and generally as office-holders. We believe some members of the fifth generation of the same family are now members of the same historic old church - making an unbroken chain of five generations and over a full century of continuous family membership. Few such records can elsewhere be found in this county.
In politics, Mr. Davy was a staunch conservative, as his fathers all were. He is said to have been one of the marshalls to escort a processions of the conservative electors from Bath to Kingston at the time of the first election for the county of the Hon. John Solomon Cartwright. That was away back in the thirties. The whole company were royally entertained by Mr. Cartwright at Kingston.
COL. G.H. DETLOR
(Daily British Whig Jan 5 1884)
Colonel's Career - Once Engaged in Business in Kingston His Appointment Subsequently as an Appraiser.
The Napanee papers contain lengthy reviews of the life of Col. G.H. Detlor, who died last Monday, aged 90 years. From a sketch, written by the colonel we learn that he was born in Fredericksburgh in 1794. In 1802, with his parents, he removed to Little York, now Toronto; where he remained until 1812. Then he went into the war and at its termination his mother and family returned to Fredericksburgh where he owned a farm. the colonel entered business with the late Hugh C. Thomson, of Kingston. In 1818 he married the second daughter of the late John Roblin, of Adolphustown. The partnership with Mr. Thomson was dissolved - both retiring from the mercantile business - Mr. Thomson engaging in printing and publishing, and Col. Detlor in farming and milling. In 1820 deceased re-commenced trading and removed to Napanee. In 1836 he was elected to the Provincial Parliament to represent, with the late John S. Cartwright, the united counties of Lennox and Addington. During the rebellion of 1837-38 his business became deranged to such an extent that he had to retire from it. In the year 1845 he received employment by the District Council in regulating the back assessment of lands; in October, 1847, he was appointed to the office of District Clerk, and in May, 1848, received his appointment as Appraiser in the Customs Department at Kingston. The first office he resigned in 1861, the latter he occupied until March, 1872. He was a very religious man. His grandfather and mother were members of the first Methodist society which was formed by Philip Embury in New York. In consequence of their loyalty to the British crown they were compelled to leave the United States. After taking up their residence in Fredericksburgh, their house was a constant home for the Methodist preacher. In October 1817, the Colonel joined the Wesleyan Church under the late Rev. Thos. Madden. In 1818 was appointed Assistant Secretary of the Quarterly Board of the Bay of Quinte Circuit. On the death of the late Rev. D. Dunham he succeeded him as Secretary and Steward, which office he held down to 1838, at which period he removed temporarily from the Circuit. On returning to Napanee he was re-appointed Steward and Class Leader, resigning both in 1848 on removing to Kingston. In 1849 in Kingston he was appointed Class Leader and on the return of his family to Napanee he resigned that office and was appointed Steward and remained a member of a class in Kingston until the 8th of October 1865, when he joined a class under J. Hawley in Napanee.
DR. DORLAND'S CAREER
The Life History of a Man Who Did Well in Belleville
(Weekly British Whig May 27 1895)
Dr. Peter V. Dorland was born about sixty-five or sixty-seven years ago, of fine old U.E. loyalist stock in the township of Adolphustown, where the family was one of the first settlers. His father was known for many years as Col. Dorland, and for many years on every fourth of June, drill day, drilled his company on the commons of Adolphustown.
Peter Dorland took his degree in medicine from the old Ralph school, Toronto, sometime in the fiftys, and shortly started for California in search of recuperated health. There he evidenced his fearless spirit by carrying the mails over a country that the stage could not traverse.
He accumulated some funds in time by practising medicine and selling drugs, then his cabin was swept away by a spring freshet, along with the rest of the village and he started for Canada and home. He came to Belleville, where his brother Enoch was already established in a successful practice, and the really entered upon his professional career. There he married a lady from near London, but after a few years a separations was agreed upon. He then went to Savannah and there became engaged for a year as physician to a party of gentlemen about to travel. That trip up the Nile and through the east aggregated, according to his diary, 63,000 miles. Shortly after his return to Savannah the civil war broke out, and he returned to Canada, afterwards visiting Europe, and studied in France, England and Scotland, taking his degree from Edinburgh university. He returned again to Belleville, to assume the practice of his brother, who had died, and in a few years had the largest practice in that district, being especially successful in his treatment of typhoid fever, his training in the south eminently fitting him for that disease. About this time he built the house on Front street, then popularly known as Dorland's castle. This marked the zenith of his fortune. He built other houses, borrowing money at ten per cent., and rented them at such rates as to make about eight per cent, out of other people's money in brick and mortar. He owned about thirty houses when the decay of his mental faculties began, and his pretended friends began importuning him to endorse notes; this with domestic troubles, caused his collapse. He lost health and property in 1874. For five years he was supported by the medical faculty, and for fifteen by his relatives and friends. In April, last year, he was sent to Toronto asylum, and later was removed to Kingston asylum, where he died yesterday. His has been a checkered career. He was for many years the leading man in his district, and it was at his house that the governor of Upper Canada would stay when he journeyed that way.
JOSEPH FREDERICK WILLIAM DOUGALL
(Journal of Education for Ontario 1874)
JOSEPH FREDERICK WILLIAM DOUGALL was born in New Hampshire, in March, 1787, and died in December, 1874, aged 88. When nine years old he emigrated to Canada with his father (the late Dr. Dougall) and settled at Fredericksburg, on the Bay of Quinte. A few years after, the whole of the family removed to Prince Edward, and took up land a few miles west of Picton. In the year 1812 the subject of this sketch wandered through the wilds of Canada in search of a better locality for settlement, and was somewhere in the vicinity of Niagara when the news of the declaration of War reached the colonists. In less than six hours after the news arrived William Dougall had enlisted in the 2nd Regiment of Norfolk Militia, and the same evening was drilling with his Company, preparatory to meeting the enemies of his King and country, who, a few years before had driven his father from his happy home in the old Granite State to seek a refuge in the wilderness of Canada! Shortly after enlisting he was attached to the Division which General Brock led against Detroit, and took part in the engagement which resulted in the surrender of that Fort to the British troops; for which service he was awarded the Detroit medal, issued by order of Her Majesty in 1848. After his return Eastward, the noble band to which he was attached were detailed to march to Queenston Heights to reinforce their comrades then engaged in deadly conflict with a superior force; but had the misfortune to arrive within a few miles of the field when they were met by the sad intelligence that the battle was over and that General Brock was killed. After his discharge from the service, in 1813, he resided for a time in Toronto (then little York) in consequence of which he was a few years ago elected a member of the venerable body known as “The York Pioneers.” After a short sojourn in the west he returned to Prince Edward where he remained till his death. William Dougall was always noted for extreme loyalty to the British Crown, and was a man of unchangeable views. He was one of the peculiar class who hate the name “Conservative,” and was proud to be called a Tory. In 1837, he voluntarily took his team and wagon to Kingston. He was one of the earliest magistrates, and acted in that capacity for many years. In society, he was noted for peculiar cautiousness, in never talking of his neighbours. It was the boast of his last days that he was never summoned as a witness in any court in the land. He carefully selected his associates and was fondly attached to them. - Picton Gazette.